Thursday, January 01, 2009

potential fnm deck for tomorrow

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Bitterblossom
3x Goblin Assault
4x Jund Charm
4x Sprouting Thirnax
4x Kitchen Finks
4x Murderous Redcap
3x Garruk Wildspeaker
3x Seige-Gang Commander
2x Profane Command

It is not ideal, but here are the 25 lands I had to use:
4x Sulferous Springs
3x Graven Cairns
2x Karplusan Forest
2x Reflecting Pool
4x Savage Lands
2x Vivid Grove
1x Vivid Crag
1x Vivid Marsh
4x Forest
1x Swamp
1x Mountain

(I don't have any GR or GB filter lands, don't have any gilt-leaf palace, or llanowar wastes, only two reflecting pools, only two karplusan forests. I wanted Tree-top villages, but being forced to play four vivids means I can't)

Sideboard:
4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Fulminator Mage
2x Mind Shatter
3x Cloudthresher
2x Primal Command

1 comment:

Sean said...

Drew loaned me 4x llanowar wastes and 3x garruk. I went 3-2.

I lost to older Josh and his BW tokens. Game one I got a turn two bitterblossom, turn three goblin assault, but he got spectral procession with two glorious anthems and I was done. Game two I mulliganed to six, had two lands and two fulminator mages (i boarded them in, obviously) and on turn six I scooped after not seeing any more lands.

My other loss came from Morgan. He was also playing tokens, but he was WR tokens with cloudgoat ranger, spectral procession and furystoke giant. I just flat out lost to his good draws and being outplayed by a better player.

Josh finished second, Morgan third.

To compare it to the BW control I played last time: I could have won either round I lost tonight, but I didn't, and that happens. After sideboard I had good match ups, especially vs Josh. I do think this deck meets mid-range aggro with less of a guaranteed win, but has considerably better match ups vs faeries (after sideboard, which is almost entirely dedicated to beating faeries). Unfortuantly, the meta has shifted at Gallery of Champions, and nearly everyone was play white mid-range aggro (GRW or BGW), tokens involving spectral procession, or monored. I handily destroyed monored tonight, by the way. There was only one person in the room playing faeries (George) and I never played it. So that means without the husk + grave pact I have to actually play good to win games now, but I have a more solid deck. I have a better match up vs quick weanie.

Birds of Paradise was not useful at all. I almost always played a turn one land that comes in tapped. Then I had to get my bitterblossom down turn two, and by then my turn three was fighting for board position, so I don't have time to mess with the birds of paradise anymore. So I'm thinking -4 BoP, +4 mogg fanatic, and then +4 vexing shusher into the board. Or guttural response, perhaps, since its just an uncommon, and pretty much does the same thing.

Other than that, I need to get to four lands by turn four so I can get a redcap or a profane command down for board control, or get a garruk down as a win threat. If I miss a land drop, I will be struggling to stay afloat.

I think I'll keep this around and give it another shot next FNM I play.