Sunday, March 14, 2010

Vore -- getting extended decks ready for the gran prix

The closest thing I have to an extended deck is vore. Here's my current decklist:

4 Careful Study
3 Devastating Dreams
4 Remand
4 Volcanic Hammer
3 Mana Leak
4 Molten Rain
4 Pillage
4 Compulsive Research
3 Magnivore
2 Fathom Trawl
1 Repeal

2 terramorphic expanse
1 shivan reef
4 steam vents
9 island
8 mountain


my incomplete board:
4 smash
4 cyroclasm
1 repeal

i was pretty sure i had shattering spree's and not smash, but i guess not

cards that do not appear to be extended legal:
--pillage
--devastating dreams
--careful study

cards that might be good to replace those or others:

Treasure Hunt -- this would be the opposite approach as fathom trawl--instead of having five mana and being in a position where all i need to do is get some juice to win, treasure hunt would be instant speed (not helpful to vore) that will hopefully net me a land and a something, and will occasionally give me lots of lands and a something. That could be useful for discarding sorceries. Probably need to go with one of the good sorcery draw cards. I need a cheap draw to replace careful study.

Sphinx of Lost Truths -- this guy's function is to get me cards, and possibly get me cards into the yard. Benefits: he doesn't die to wildfire, he has evasion, he blocks man-lands and lots of other stuff without dying. He would be the only other creature than vore, so maybe good for pulling removal from my opponent's hand, maybe even a sorcery. Negatives: a 3/5 chump blocker for five mana isn't terribly mana effecient. If I'm in a place where i have five or six lands, no cards in hand, and i need a chump blocker then he isn't the best topdeck i could get. I don't see that happening very often though. The other negative is he isn't a sorcery.

Wildfire -- I can't think of anything off hand that works better for me than Wildfire (except devastating dreams). I haven't looked at all my options, but I figure people use this card for a reason.

Something to replace Pillage -- there are lots of ways to get lands into the yard, I haven't looked at any of them yet but i figure this to be pretty easily replaced.

Lots of people go with bounce effects over counterspell effects. Maybe instead of running 3 leaks and 4 remands, I should go with 4 leaks and 4 remands and -1 repeal. (Repeal would be nicer if it was a sorcery).

lands-- i have scalding tarns, that might be better than terramorphic expanse/shivan reef. not sure what else to do there. the simplier the mana base the better, in my opinion.

Board options:

Cyroclasm still seems like a good choice.

Mindbreak Trap and/or double negative might be good for the local meta (naya has bloodbraid elf, and i heard three people say they are playing that, including ben c). Mindbreak also is good vs dragonstorm or tendril of agony or whatever happens to be happening.

Probably some crypt of tormod or some kind of GY hate.

Hopefully everyone will be playing Valakut decks and I'll win really easily.

Mike: if you don't have a deck idea yet, you should look at the Hive Mind/Pact of Negation/Pact of Titans, etc. For some reason I could see you having fun winning games with Hive Mind.

Also, I have 1 tarmagoyf, so if either of you guys are playing green and don't have your playset, you can borrow that one.

3 comments:

DRokRoss said...

Im not sure about this deck. I've been looking at the top 8 extended decks from this season and it seems like it is overwhelmingly decklists that roll all over vore....

Faeries,
Dark Depths,
Zoo,
Dredge
Elf Combo and
Scapeshift (OK this one doesnt just eat you alive, but I think its still in scapeshifts favor.)

Sean said...

Well, that's a pity since I have experience playing this deck, and I have all the cards already. I guess I'll take a look at some of the others, but I may have to play this out of necessity. I do know that I REALLY like naya in standard, and I would love to play it, but I am missing most of the cards, including: oracle, knight, ranger. That's about $200 with those twelve cards.

Back to the drawing board, then.

Sean said...

Oh yeah, I don't have 3 more goyf's, jitte, shock lands. So I'm $600 short of competitive extended naya. So that was a bad idea.